Cosmetic dentistry is a branch of dentistry that focuses on making the smile look better. All cosmetic dental procedures are done to improve the appearance of the teeth, lips, or gums.
Cosmetic dentists have many tools to help give you the smile you deserve. They can change your life in ways that you might not expect!
A great advantage of cosmetic dentistry is that it can improve your self-confidence or even make you more attractive to a potential partner. Cosmetic procedures are not only about the aesthetic, though they also have significant health benefits!
Best of all, cosmetic dental services don’t cost nearly as much as one might think! A cosmetic dentist typically charges by procedure, and depending on what needs to be done; it could be anywhere in the range of $100 – $1000. Cosmetic dentistry is available for all ages, but it’s especially great for teens and adults looking to improve their smiles! Cosmetic dental procedures can be done at any age with no risk or harm, though if you’re under 18, make sure that your parents sign off on anything you might want to get done.
Cosmetic Dentistry can be done in a couple of different ways, but teeth whitening is one of the most common. Teeth Whitening is precisely what you think it would be – Get your pearly whites looking brighter! It’s a quick, easy, painless procedure that will have your smile looking great in no time.
What Is Teeth Whitening?
Teeth whitening is a procedure that can be done at home or in the dentist office. It was initially used to help patients with stained teeth, discolouration due to aging, medications, tobacco use, and even drinking dark liquids like coffee or tea, which left stains on their teeth. Modern technology has become more popular for patients who want to have a whiter, brighter smile. It is now used by people of all ages, including teenagers embarrassed about their teeth and those looking to improve their teeth before taking that big step into cosmetic dentistry like veneers or crowns.
Teeth whitening can be done in two ways: one is by applying the whitening gel to your teeth at home, which can take up to two weeks. The other way is having it done in an office where a protective shield will be placed over your teeth, and then you’ll get exposed to light that activates the gel inside. Teeth are left sensitive after this procedure, but many people say they’re worth it.
Patients who have done teeth whitening say that their confidence has improved since they can be proud of how white and bright their smile is. Others love the fact that there are many options to choose from when you go for this procedure, including toothpaste, mouthwashes and even foods that help keep your teeth whiter for longer.
Most procedures take about an hour, depending on the method chosen. There are several different methods out there- some take longer than others! However, it does not hurt at all, and most people say it feels like they’ve had a really strong mint or something similar to that. Some of the most commonly used methods are:
- Whitening lamp (LP) -This is done with a whitening light that stimulates teeth to get whiter faster. This method typically takes about 30 minutes, but some people do it for longer depending on their comfort level or how quickly they want results! If you use this method, you should avoid drinking coffee or other beverages that can stain teeth for about 24 hours after the whitening process.
- Trays -This method involves custom made trays created by your dentist to fit over your teeth; these hold a gel solution in place while it is activated using heat and light (similar to the above). This treatment typically takes about an hour as well. After the treatment with this method too, you will want to avoid drinking coffee or other beverages that can stain teeth.
- Toothpaste -There are many great whitening toothpaste on the market that have proven results! While it is a slower process than getting trays or using light, it is still effective. You should brush your teeth with this toothpaste twice daily to see results!
- Creams -There are some great over the counter creams out there that you can purchase at any drugstore and usually use in conjunction with brushing. These typically take about two weeks of continuous usage for results but are much less costly than other methods.
- Whitening strips -These provide a straightforward way to whiten teeth, especially for those who do not have time during the day or night for extra steps in their routine. Many people use these at night before they go to bed and then brush as usual when they wake up.
- Gels -There are many different kinds of gels on the market, but most people use a tray to hold them in place and let light activate them for an hour. This is one of the fastest ways out there that can have results before you know it! You will want to avoid drinking coffee or other beverages that can stain teeth for up to 24 hours after this treatment as well.
- Rinses -While not for everyone, some people find that taking a mouthwash or rinsing their mouths before brushing helps keep them achieve more white teeth than they had previously! Many of these come with whitening ingredients already in the rinse, so you do not need any additional products at all.
- Laser -This is one of the most expensive options out there, and it can be pretty uncomfortable during the process. It takes about an hour to do, and you should avoid drinking coffee or other beverages that can stain teeth after this treatment too. This method uses a laser light activated by your dentist’s office to get the job done.
- Wands -This method is similar to the LP treatment, but you can purchase over the counter wands and do it yourself at home. Make sure to use whitening toothpaste when brushing your teeth afterward!
There are several other methods out there, but these tend to be the most common! Whichever you choose, it will take about an hour. When using over the counter products at home, remember that they typically take longer than doing something in the office, so plan accordingly! If you have any questions, don’t hesitate to contact your dentist or their office staff.