What Is Meaning Of Abstinence?
What Is Meaning Of Abstinence?
The meaning of abstinence refers to the act or practice of not doing something typically alcohol or sex, often for health or religious reasons. The word abstinence is derived from the Latin term for “to hold back.”
The meaning of abstinence is a self-enforced restraint from indulging in bodily activities, especially for health reasons. Thus, the meaning of Abstinence implies the willful evasion of pleasures, especially of food and drink, thought to be harmful.
Synonyms of abstinence:
Examples Of Using The Word Abstinence Are:
- Also, abstinence is placed much lower than responsible behavior on the totem pole of values.
- This example is to be contrasted with that of the celibate who decides that the most fulfilling life for him will be one of abstinence.
- For such patients, it may be unrealistic to mandate abstinence as a requirement for treatment.
- From what I hear from patients every day, you would think that fast and abstinence is the rule rather than the exception.
- In the present study, one-year abstinence was determined by collateral contacts in addition to self-report.
- As abstinence became popular in the second half of the 19th century, there was a shift from brewing to malting.
- The goals of therapy are to prevent abstinence syndrome, reduce narcotic cravings and block the euphoric effects of illicit opioid use.
- Who in their right mind believes that kind of message promotes abstinence and sexual monogamy?
- In addition, social networks that are unsupportive of drug abstinence may encourage relapse among those returning home after drug treatment.
- Had she not chosen the path of abstinence as her father had, she might have taken his offer of marriage.
- Overeaters Anonymous differentiates normal eating from overeating and encourages abstinence from overeating.
What Is The True Meaning Of Abstinence?
This means avoiding all types of intimate genital contact. Someone practicing complete abstinence does not have any type of intimate sexual contact, including oral sex.
What Is Abstinence And Example?
For most people, abstinence means not having sex with anyone. Sometimes people use abstinence as birth control to prevent pregnancy. Abstinence prevents pregnancy by keeping semen away from the vagina, so the sperm cells in semen can’t get to an egg and cause pregnancy.
Can You Kiss During Abstinence?
A decision to abstain may be for an evening or for years, or any time in between. Abstinence can mean total abstinence from sexual intercourse, but hugging and kissing are okay. Abstinence could even include some intimate caresses.
How Do You Practice Abstinence In A Relationship?
What is abstinence in a relationship? It relates to intercourse. Partners abstinence that is practicing a relationship remain together with out intercourse. Some couples even stop kissing and behave platonically like buddies, though continue being lovers also without intercourse.
What Does Abstinence Mean Christianity?
Abstinence refers to the voluntary restraint from experiencing or indulging in bodily pleasures. This includes foods, smoking, alcohol, drugs of abuse and sexual intercourse.