What Is The Meaning Of Affidavit?
The meaning of the term affidavit is that it is a written statement confirmed by oath or affirmation, for use as evidence in court. In the terms of the law, in other words, you can also define the meaning of affidavit as a written sworn statement of fact voluntarily made by an affiant or deponent under a promise or assertion administered by a person sanctioned to do so by law.
These statements are witnessed as to the authenticity of the affiant’s signature by a taker of oaths, such as a notary public or commissioner of oaths. You can also that, an affidavit is a type of verified statement or showing, or in simpler words, it contains a verification, meaning it is under oath or penalty of perjury, and this serves as evidence to its veracity an is required for court proceedings.
These affidavits are generally written in the first or third person, which depends on who drafted the document. Supposedly, if your affidavit is notarized or authenticated, the main point is that it will also include a caption with a venue and title in reference to judicial proceedings.
There are many different types of affidavits for various occasions or circumstances where a person needs it. Some can be stated such as an affidavit of death, divorce affidavit, affidavit of residence, affidavit of support, etc.
See This Also: What Is The Meaning Of Afghan? Find Out Meaning Of Afghan.
Examples Of Using The Word Affidavit Are:
1. His affidavit was made on behalf of the British Government and its secret service.
2. The act obliges people making personal injury claims to make a sworn affidavit of their claim.
3. It is probably the only story the famous humorist wrote which was supported by an affidavit to its truthfulness.
4. Some may be prepared to swear to an affidavit and say they were told and verily believe that this was so.
5. There has been no affidavit material filed to explain the circumstances of this non-appearance.
6. Your Honour, this matter has been brought on in some haste as I think you can see from the affidavit.
7. His affidavit then goes on to state that Glenview entered into sublease agreements with three tenants.
8. Notwithstanding this claim, Solhi testified on cross-examination that he swore his affidavit on behalf of all the respondents.
9. The court says it extended the interdict to give the applicant a chance to file a replying affidavit.
10. Drug tests were also performed, but the affidavit concluded he was intoxicated by alcohol only.