What Is The Meaning Of Afghan?
The meaning of the term afghan is that it is a native or inhabitant of Afghanistan or a person of Afghan descent. In simpler words, you can also give the meaning of afghan as the people belonging or relating to Afghanistan, or to its language.
Formerly, the term Afghan has been utilized to designate a member of the Pashtuns, and that usage still continues in some places in Afghanistan. It would also be very interesting for you all to know that the name Afghanistan is originally derived from Afghan, which means the land of the Pashtuns and is cited to the Pashtun tribal regions south of the Hindu Kush mountains.
But, through the 19th century, the term Afghan was used by various writers as a synonym for “Pashtun”, but such usage now is rare in English. You can also say that, generally, the term “Afghan” refers to every citizen of the state of Afghanistan, regardless of the ethnic group the individual belongs to.
The earliest mention of the name Afghan is by Shapur I of the Sassanid Empire during the 3rd century CE, which is later recorded in the 6th century in the form of “Avagana” by the Indian astronomer Varaha Mihira in his Brihat-Samhita.
Examples Of Using The Word Afghan Are:
1. Smiling, she pulled away from Ben and laid a crocheted afghan over the slumbering boy.
2. Her mother and her older sister were seated side-by-side on the couch, crocheting an afghan and watching a movie.
3. He returned back to the living room where it was warm and found Hannah seated in front of the hearth, an afghan wrapped around her.
4. But if he weakens and gives them a role, most Afghan people who voted for a strong central government will feel cheated.
5. A passing patrol of some 25 troops from the Afghan National Army came to their aid.
6. I asked him about his famously resplendent Afghan hound photographed in a designer corset-collar and white silk rose corsage.
7. It also employs laborers to help clear sites, providing pay that enables Afghan men to put food on the table for their families.
8. The Afghan word for hope is Arman and that is exactly what the station is about.
9. Many people in Russia speak Afghan, and many people in Afghanistan speak Russian.
10. He wore Afghan clothes, spoke their languages, and understood their traditions.