What Is The Meaning Of Afloat?
The meaning of the term afloat is, floating on or in water or not sinking. You can also give the meaning by saying that, if someone or something is afloat, they remain partly above the surface of the water and do not sink.
The fact that is very interesting about afloat is that it has two different meanings of the same word. It can be defined in terms of water floating as well as in terms of business. The definition of afloat in terms of business is that, if a person, business, or country stays afloat or is kept afloat, they have just enough money to pay their debts and continue operating.
Some other words can also be synonymous with the term afloat which can be stated such as suspended, drifting, buoyant, drifting, etc. While some of the antonyms can be given as sunk, aground, submerged, beached, hollow, docked, ashore, etc.
You can also understand more clearly the meaning of afloat by making the use of the word in the sentences. Some of the examples can be stated as the children set their new boat afloat on the lake, the inheritance kept them afloat for years, she spent seven days afloat on a raft, etc.
Examples Of Using The Word Afloat Are:
- There are rumors afloat that a major musical act will be playing this time next year.
- After several days adrift in a lifeboat, some of the crew find the ship miraculously still afloat.
- He has single-handedly kept Salford afloat, doing his level best alongside the big guns.
- In the right hands, it is probably the most adaptable and seaworthy vessel afloat.
- There have been times in my life when it has been the lifeline keeping me afloat in a very chaotic world.
- In seas, up to eight feet and dangerous rip currents, two of the three Cuban migrants struggled to stay afloat.
- The prize gives special emphasis to research which improves the management or techniques in sick bays ashore and afloat.
- Her bow was almost blown off, but her captain managed to keep her afloat by going full astern.
- The new steps allow her to walk unaided into the water, where she can exercise her arms and legs while lying on a special mat to keep her afloat.
- As a developing nation, Brazil has adopted punitive interest rates to stay afloat in the midst of economic shocks.
What Does Afloat Mean In Life?
We use “stay afloat” when we’re talking about a business struggling to survive, or a person is struggling to keep their finances in order . “Afloat” simply means, floating in the water, staying above the surface of the water.
What Is An Example Of Afloat?
/əˈfloʊt/ floating on water: She spent seven days afloat on a raft. He managed to keep/stay afloat by holding on to the side of the boat.
What Does I Mean To Keep Yourself Afloat?
To remain financially solvent or viable; to not be overwhelmed by debt or financial difficulties. I lost my job unexpectedly, but thankfully I managed to keep afloat with several different freelance gigs until I found something more permanent.
What Is Another Word For Staying Afloat?
float. verblie on the surface. be buoyant. bob. drift.
Where In The Bible Does It Talk About Staying Afloat?
STAYING AFLOAT WITH JESUS – Matthew 14:22-33.