What Is The Meaning Of Afoot?
The meaning of the term afoot is something that is in preparation or progress, or is happening or beginning to happen. You can also define the definition of afoot as something that is in the process of development such as, the plan to build a new school or a residence, etc.
Some of the other words which can be synonymous with the term afoot can also be given as happening, stirring, current, around, about, hiking, walking, on foot, etc. Whereas some of the antonyms can also be stated as completed, noncurrent, finished, ended, unmoving, halted, pasted on, etc.
You can also understand more clearly about the meaning of afoot by making the use of the term in the sentences. Some of the examples can be stated such as, in a quiet country backwater something evil is afoot, disc brake already afoot for a brand new aerodynamics package and disk brakes upgrade, if the banners and flags are shifted about sedition is afoot, etc.
Most of the people often question that, what do the games afoot mean? So, basically, the game is afoot which means that the situation is happening. Generally, you can say that it is a hunting metaphor where “the game” refers to the animal that is being hunted and “afoot” refers to it being on foot, or moving.
Click here – What Is The Meaning Of Afore? Find Out Meaning Of Afore.
Examples Of Using The Word Afoot Are:
- Although a lock-in in your friendly local pub may be most welcome, product lock-ins are usually a sign that something fishy is afoot.
- Plans are also afoot to place a cycle path along the top of the new wall reaching as far as Shoebury East Beach.
- He has the scoop on current initiatives afoot to inform you of the latest flaws and fixes.
- Most will tell you what a challenge it is to restrain a company of Marines once their blood is up, the scent fresh and the chase is afoot.
- And there are also plans afoot for Burberry skincare and personal care lines, reports Women’s Wear Daily.
- Yet there are more sinister happenings afoot, as Count Dracula himself jumps into the mix, searching for a serum to make him invincible.
- As they are art college-inspired, there’s situationist experimentation afoot.
- Plans are afoot for a visual art research institute in currently vacant university buildings.
- The other good news is that there are plans afoot for there to be a free festival next year!
What Is Afoot Saying?
adjective [verb-link ADJECTIVE] If you say that a plan or scheme is afoot, it is already happening or being planned, but you do not know much about it. Everybody knew that something awful was afoot. Synonyms: going on, happening, current, operating More Synonyms of afoot.
What Does Keep Afoot Mean?
1] vb. 1 intr to continue or remain in a certain place, position, etc.
What Does Setting Afoot Mean?
/əˈfʊt/ happening, or being planned or prepared: Big changes are afoot at Lake Utah.
What Is The Origin Of The Word Afoot?
afoot (adv., adj.) c. 1200, afote, “on foot, walking, not on horseback,” contraction of prepositional phrase on fotum; see a- (1) “on” + foot (n.). Meaning “astir, on the move” is from 1520s; figurative sense of “in active operation” is from 1601 (“Julius Caesar”).
What Does The Line Afoot And Light Hearted I Take To The Road Mean?
The poet has conveyed the meaning that his heart is full of sweet memories of good and kind people. Though he wants to be free from any type of attachment, he wants to cherish these sweet memories in his heart forever. A3. ‘ The long brown path before me leading wherever I choose’
Click here – What Is The Meaning Of Aforementioned? Find Out Meaning Of Aforementioned.