What Is The Meaning Of Afoot?
The meaning of the term afoot is something that is in preparation or progress, or is happening or beginning to happen. You can also define the definition of afoot as something that is in the process of development such as, the plan to build a new school or a residence, etc.
Some of the other words which can be synonymous with the term afoot can also be given as happening, stirring, current, around, about, hiking, walking, on foot, etc. Whereas some of the antonyms can also be stated as completed, noncurrent, finished, ended, unmoving, halted, pasted on, etc.
You can also understand more clearly about the meaning of afoot by making the use of the term in the sentences. Some of the examples can be stated such as, in a quiet country backwater something evil is afoot, disc brake already afoot for a brand new aerodynamics package and disk brakes upgrade, if the banners and flags are shifted about sedition is afoot, etc.
Most of the people often question that, what do the games afoot mean? So, basically, the game is afoot which means that the situation is happening. Generally, you can say that it is a hunting metaphor where “the game” refers to the animal that is being hunted and “afoot” refers to it being on foot, or moving.
Examples Of Using The Word Afoot Are:
- Although a lock-in in your friendly local pub may be most welcome, product lock-ins are usually a sign that something fishy is afoot.
- Plans are also afoot to place a cycle path along the top of the new wall reaching as far as Shoebury East Beach.
- He has the scoop on current initiatives afoot to inform you of the latest flaws and fixes.
- Most will tell you what a challenge it is to restrain a company of Marines once their blood is up, the scent fresh and the chase is afoot.
- And there are also plans afoot for Burberry skincare and personal care lines, reports Women’s Wear Daily.
- Yet there are more sinister happenings afoot, as Count Dracula himself jumps into the mix, searching for a serum to make him invincible.
- As they are art college-inspired, there’s situationist experimentation afoot.
- Plans are afoot for a visual art research institute in currently vacant university buildings.
- The other good news is that there are plans afoot for there to be a free festival next year!