What Is The Meaning Of Acronym?
What Is The Meaning Of Acronym?
The meaning of the term acronym is that it is an abbreviation formed from the initial letters of the other words and pronounced as a word. For example, NASA(National Aeronautics and Space Administration), NATO(North Atlantic Treaty Organization), Benelux (Belgium, Netherlands, and Luxembourg) or Radar(Radio Detection And Ranging). Acronyms outcomes from a word-formation procedure known as blending, in which parts of two or more words are gathered to make a new word.
Acronyms flourished especially from the 20th century onwards, although the distinction between abbreviation and acronym has been steadily eroded and the acronym is used for several types of the abbreviation. Acronyms are also commonly used nowadays in many of the social networking sites namely, Instagram, Facebook, Twitter, Hike, Whatsapp, etc. These acronyms are very useful as they are time convenient as we use short forms. The term acronym can also be synonymous with other words such as signifier, descriptor, word form, phrase, cipher, wordplay, etc.
In a simpler definition, we can say that an acronym is a word whose letters are the first letters of other words. These acronyms are faster and shorter and also time convenient to say then the long-phrase.
Examples Of Using The Word Acronym Are:
- It is generally acceptable to initiate a sentence with an acronym or abbreviation that begins with a capital letter.
- The word laser is an acronym for light elaboration by stimulated release of radiation.
- I’m not going to even profess to understand in any information how this mouthful of an acronym really works.
- The acronym derives from the group constitution of postgraduates, capability, undergraduates, and graduate students.
- It was anti-futuristic, so awkward and mechanical that even the acronym appeared dated.
- Since it’s glowing and you don’t have handy entrance to dead sea creatures, how about treating it like an acronym?
- It was just that no one was ready to replace a terse phrase with either an ugly acronym or a yawn-inducing nibble.
- The acronym of the term TOW stands for Tube-launched, Optically-tracked, Wire command link-guided missile.
- I’ve decreased this heavy string of words to its acronym because it has a pleasant Latin sound and neatly swathes the complete nine yards in one small bundle.
- Backronym Similar to an acronym, but where the words have been intentionally chosen to fit initials.
- And then the next red-hot evolution on some other front will appear rendering the acronym to unconsciousness.
What Is The True Meaning Of Acronym?
An acronym (pronounced AK-ruh-nihm, from Greek acro- in the sense of extreme or tip and onyma or name) is an abbreviation of several words in such a way that the abbreviation itself forms a pronounceable word. The word may already exist or it can be a new word.
Why Is FBI Not An Acronym?
FBI and CIA are examples of initialisms because they’re made up of the first letters of Federal Bureau of Investigation and Central Intelligence Agency, respectively, but they can’t be pronounced as words.
What’s Another Word For Acronym?
They are commonly called acronyms, but there’s a more specific term that’s used by linguists and people who like being precise about these things: initialism. Acronyms like ‘scuba’ (“self-contained underwater breathing apparatus”) are pronounceable as words. Initialisms like ‘FBI’ are not.
Is ASAP An Acronym?
ASAP, ALAP and ATAP are acronyms that stand for, respectively, as soon as possible, as late as possible and as timely as possible.
What Is An Acronym Vs Abbreviation?
An abbreviation is a shortened form of a word used in place of the full word (e.g., Inc.). An acronym is a word formed from the first letters of each of the words in a phrase or name (e.g., NREL or DOE).
Click here – How to Identify a Reputable Delta 9 Supplier